About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Sunday 17 January 2010

Wycombe 1 Charlton 2

Phew! I don't know about you, but I was a bit nervous about that one. Not because I didn't think we were capable of winning, of course we were, but rather as the the first match of the year, my concern was more about how rusty would we be. We definitely did show signs of our enforced inactivity, but with Dailly, and Richardson back in the fold, the break has allowed us to get almost the entire first team back on the pitch. Just Kelly Youga to go, and we will be firing on all available cylinders once more.

And speaking of firing on all cylinders, our weakest area of the pitch remains our strikeforce. Whilst Parkinson is to be applauded for wanting to keep the same personnel involved in first team action, the reality is that Dickson is not good enough, and Mooney is not a predatory goalscorer. Whilst the mighty Burton is doing the best job he can, we do need more firepower upfront. McKenzie, with a run in the side, may be the answer, but I would rather see him on the left side of midfield. Bailey's excellent contribution is alleviating some of the shortfall, but if only we had the wherewithal to land a Lambert, Beckford, or a Holt lookalike. If we were able to do so, I believe it could make the difference between automatic promotion, or settling for the playoffs.

Is Sodje Jnr, now back at Sheffield Wednesday, the answer? Personally I don't think so, and given that Parkinson has been reported as saying he wanted to bring in one new face before the end of the month, fingers crossed that it is an additional striker who can make that crucial difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment