About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Sunday 24 January 2010

Finance or Football?

Personally, I would rather not see Norwich descend into administration. To win on the field of play is a far more honourable way of escaping this division at the first time of asking. Having said that, I suspect Norwich have the wherewithal on the playing side to continue a promotion push, albeit with a play off place looking more likely than automatic promotion, should they be deducted ten points for calling in the men in suits. I really don't see administration happening though.

Better to focus on our own somewhat hesitant return to competitive action, which has seen the collection of a maximum points haul for two essentially sub-standard displays. I am pleased to see Mooney back with us, but what of Sodje Jnr? Back on the blue side of Sheffield, he is warming the bench more often than not, so it is possible we may see him again before the end of the month. As I have said previously, I do not think he, or Dickson are the answer, but there is little doubt that we do need a striker who can be prolific for the second half of the season. A look at the goal differences of the top three sides, shows that we are effectively a further point down on the top two, courtesy of their goal scoring proclivity.

For all our recent focus on the fortunes of Norwich, it is looking more likely that Leeds are a more vulnerable, and likely target to overhaul. Helped once again by their love of cup competitions, Spurs will test the weary legs of the Yorkshire side once more when they go to Elland Road for the FA Cup replay. It is looking more and more likely that by the seasons conclusion, Leeds will have played sixty games. I don't believe their squad is strong enough to support such a schedule, well at least I hope not anyway.

I worked in Leeds for many years, and to a man, my Leeds supporting friends are growing increasingly pessimistic about their prospects in the League. History supports their collective view that the play offs beckon for them once again. For them, cup competitions are a curse they could do without, so maybe Hereford, Southampton, and Northwich Victoria did us a favour. Time will tell, but of more immediate importance, our game against Leyton Orient on Monday, will see the Addicks once again try to cling to the coat tails of Norwich. I suspect we will have to play somewhat better than we have done since the enforced break, and I rather fancy we will.

Whilst I appreciate that Charlton get paid for live televised games, it is yet another game I will be unable to make. I just wish the football was more important than the finances, but ultimately it is not. I genuinely hope Norwich don't find that out on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment