About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Monday 12 October 2009

Charlton 0 Oldham 0

It never ceases to amaze me, just how different peoples opinion of the same game can be. Whilst one particular radio commentator felt it necessary to describe Saturday's game as probably the most boring and dull it had ever been his misfortune to witness, I just felt frustrated by the time wasting of Oldham, the profligacy in front of goal by McLeod, and the lack of guile shown by both the players and Parkinson, which has left us with two points dropped, rather than one gained.

The unfortunate pattern against top half teams that we now seem to be establishing, is a salutory reminder that we are good, but we are not special, and that perhaps my pre season prediction of mid table anonymity, may not be that wide of the mark after all. Even to a casual observer such as I, it was blindingly obvious that Oldham would come looking for a 0-0 scoreline, so why did we start with a 4-5-1 formation? When, somewhat belatedly, Parkinson did switch to a 4-4-2, the chances came thick and fast. The logic about keeping faith with the players that have started the season so well, is beginning to look a little thin now, as those same players have now managed a meagre 7 out of a possible 18 points in the last six games.

I shall watch with interest, to see what Parkinson does for the game against Huddersfield, as that will be a very similar game to the Oldham one. Unfortunately, all my concerns about his lack of strategic nous, and his ability to motivate a team when results are not as rosy as before, seem to be well founded, on the basis of the Oldham game. I hope to be convinced otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment