About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Thursday 23 October 2008

Patience

I didn't post after the Cardiff game on the basis that we all have a bad day at the office sometimes. Unduly charitable I thought, when Charlton promptly put in the same style of performance against Bristol City, albeit without the dismissals. The form, and current league position of the team does have an impact on the due diligence being conducted by Zabeel. It has too, as there is a fundamental question to be answered, namely, are we buying, or heaven forbid, bringing in loan players in January to push Charlton over the line to promotion, or are we looking at players to stave off relegation? Our current form says that we will be in a relegation dogfight unless results turn in our favour, and soon. Zabeel are looking to buy a Championship club with pretensions to the top flight, not one that is sliding inexorably towards Division 1.

We are now a third of the way through the season, so I don't buy the "it's early days" argument. We are 20th for a reason, and it isn't all down to bad luck. I believe that the current position, amongst other reasons may well stop the sale, and my experience of takeovers tells me that we should probably have heard by now as Charlton is not a complex business.

In the meantime, patience is the key, in terms of both the takeover, and indeed, the playing side. I am happy to be patient about the former, and delighted if I am proven wrong about a withdrawal, and for me, time is running out for the latter.

P.S. - Ballcocks - within five minutes of posting the above, Zabeel have announced that they will not be buying Charlton Athletic.

No comments:

Post a Comment