About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Wednesday 22 June 2011

Squad Status

All three of these transfers had been widely rumoured before they became a reality, and that in itself was a surprise to me. Normally, nothing is said until the deal is done at Charlton, but these three had been widely touted for some time. Can't say I am wildly enthused by any of them, but at least the squad is now starting to be rebuilt. I just wonder whether it is Vetere, or Powell that is doing the rebuilding though. In the case of Alonso, my own feeling is that it is not a Powell appointment; in the same way that I didn't believe Wright-Phillips was either. I am sure there must be a good reason why clubs don't always announce how long a player has signed for. Much was made of Hayes three, and Evina's two year deals, but not a whisper as to how long Alonso has signed up for. Anyone seen anything? I shall go with two years for now, but any info gratefully received.

Elsewhere, Racon has left the building, and I view his, and Semedo moving on (if it happens) as positives. They were the best we had, but it just wasn't good enough. The arrival of Alonso I see as a direct replacement for Semedo, so just a matter of time before his departure becomes a reality then! The news that Powell is looking for six more additions sounds, at least numerically, to be in the right ballpark. As the status below shows, we currently only have nineteen pro's on the books, and in reality that number is at least four less when fringe players are removed. Still much to do then, particularly in the centre of defence!

Contract End - Dec 2011

Davisson

Contract End - June 2012

Benson
Doherty
Elliott
Francis
Jackson
Mambo
McCormack
Pritchard
Wagstaff
Wright-Phillips

Contract End - June 2013

Alonso
Evina
Harriott
Pope
Solly
Sullivan

Contract End - June 2014

Hayes
Hollands

Loan

None

2 comments:

  1. Was Alonso's contract length confirmed? I couldn't see it anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry just realised you said you had a guess at 2 years. You could be right but 1 year wouldn't be surprising. They didn't announce Reid's contract length last year and that turned out to be a 1 year deal.

    ReplyDelete