About Me

Old Coulsdon, United Kingdom
An acquired refugee from the days of exile at Selhurst Park, my first game being a dreary 1-1 draw with Millwall. I followed the team back to The Valley, and have now been with them for over twenty years. You will find me in the Rose of Denmark or in the Lower West. Follow me on Twitter @DeepestDarkest1

Wednesday 30 September 2009

Colchester 3 Charlton 0

Last night was just a bad day at the office, but one that I have little confidence will get any better on Saturday. We are now playing teams in the top half of the league, and both the team and Parkinson need to show that they can be a force in this division. At the start of the month, I mentioned in a posting that I was unconvinced about Parkinson, and I was asked in return, what would convince me that he could do a job in the third division. After last nights result, I think it is worth posting my reply to that question.

How he conducts himself when the team starts to lose, or at a lower level, when they go behind during a match. Given the abject misery of last season, it wouldn't take too many losses on the spin, for fans to turn against him. The true test for me, is how he reacts in the above scenarios. Whether he is able to motivate a losing team, and what tactics he deploys to achieve a turnaround, will indicate to me, whether he is a good manager at this level, or not. Although not of his creation, he did not manage that last season, although I am happy to concede that we were playing better football towards the end of the last campaign. His conduct thus far has gone a long way to repairing damaged faith, but I still have lingering doubts, as to whether he possesses the wherewithal to dig the team out of a hole. In fairness to him, he hasn't had that opportunity yet, although he did manage to almost single handedly create that situation during the Wycombe game by switching to 4-4-2 for no apparent reason. That caused the team to take on pressure that wasn't present until that point. There was no further input from the bench to alleviate that pressure, and thus I still have my doubts.

2 comments:

  1. I think that in terms of the overall season, the next game v. Leeds is not particularly huge - but for reasons you mention in your post, it is with a capital 'H' with regard to how Parky gets the team performing.

    I sure hope he succeeds and am really looking forward to it. It will be a REAL eye opener.

    Good to see you the other day, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to meet you as well Ken. I agree that the Leeds game is not one to pin our hopes of the season on, but I am concerned that there is something of a rabbit in the headlights, with only one plan approach by Parkinson tactically. I sincerely hope I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete